De-escalation for Mental Health Calls: a course for First-Responders
“A compassionate approach for assessing, de-escalating, problem-solving and resolving mental health crisis situations.”
In the ever-changing roles of law enforcement, EMT, Firefighters and 911 dispatchers, it is more important than ever for first-responders to learn the tools and techniques on how to successfully de-escalate people in crisis with non-violent tactics. This training will provide you with a comprehensive approach on how to compassionately use these strategies for a successful crisis intervention, especially those with mental illness and developmental disabilities.
This training will include:
- Strategies on how to use verbal and non-verbal communication.
- Identifying positive alternative tools to use to prevent physical intervention.
- Learning how to overcome barriers to successful communication.
- The importance of using a team approach and defining roles.
- Common behaviors and actions of those with mental illness and effective tools to use.
- Discussion of real-life scenarios and problem-solving solutions.
- Recognizing “excited delirium” and its potential medical consequences.
- Information on mental health laws in order to assist those with mental illness.
- Section 12a, Section 18a, Section 35, and Rogers Guardianship
- Mental health services available and the benefits of police follow up.
Instructor: Terri Delaney is an emergency room and psychiatric nurse who has over 32 years-experience working with people who have mental illness and developmental disabilities. She has been providing de-escalation training to nurses, doctors, police officers, and EMS personnel throughout her career.
State 911 approved – contact State 911 to ensure you are eligible for re-imbursement
November 4, 2022 – Natick Police Department @ 8:00 AM – 4PM
- $250 for in-person
- $150 for on-demand
To register for this course email us at email@example.com and include the following information:
- COURSE TITLE
- COURSE DATE or On-Demand
- ATTENDEE(s) NAMES (and emails if on-demand)
- DEPARTMENT/AGENCY NAME
- Dept./Agency contact name and email
CONTACT US TO HOST THIS COURSE! firstname.lastname@example.org or call (617) 612-5210